Social media is an integral part of a well-rounded marketing campaign. However, strategic analytics and measurement are critical for success in this channel. Gone are the days of merely having a social presence just because your target audience uses social. The reality of today is, most people have a social profile and classify themselves as users of social. However, understanding how your audience uses it and how it drives intent is the only way to gauge its effectiveness.
If you’re using social media, you should be measuring it.
- How do you know if your social media activities are effective?
- How do you decide what metrics you should be monitoring?
- How do you calculate those metrics?
- How do you interpret the numbers once you have them?
Whether you are managing your campaigns on your own or are outsourcing your campaigns to a partner, before you get started, you should define the metrics you need to set benchmarks, optimize and see the results. Don’t get caught up in the “branding” promise of social. Yes, social media can help you build your brand, but only with a diligent, measurable approach.
A one-size-fits-all approach to measurement won’t cut it any longer. Marketers need to measure campaign-focused metrics as well as ongoing activity over a longer period of time.
Ongoing analytics measure the pulse of general conversation about your brand and company. Once your brand tracking is set up, you should look at analytics regularly to see how your brand is performing.
Campaign-focused metrics, on the other hand, help you understand the impact of targeted marketing initiatives and will vary from campaign to campaign, depending on your goals for each. For example, if you are using social to boost email performance, you need to set the proper metrics in place up front and hold yourself and your agency accountable to delivering enough reach and frequency to make a difference.
Questions to Ask Before You Get Started
- Who am I trying to reach, and what is my message?
- What action do I need my audience to take?
- How many impressions do I need to get the desired response?
- How many engagements do I need to get the desired response?
After you answer these questions, you can properly set up metrics!
- Identify your key performance indicators
- Align social media goals with business objectives
- Set up Google Analytics to track conversions
- Assign values to your key performance indicators
- Benchmark against your competitors
For additional data-driven resources, contact us at email@example.com..